BY ALEX TRAN
FTP Upload Guide
This document will demonstrate how to upload a file through FTP using a FireFox plugin called FireFTP (http://fireftp.mozdev.org/).
If you do not use Firefox, you can use a stand-alone program like Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org/download.php) to accomplish the same thing. The steps will be similar once you open the program.
You will need:
- To have the FTP plugin installed
- The PDF, mp3 file or whatever it is you are wanting to upload
- Your website FTP information
Step 1: Open FireFTP
Open your website browser & click Tools > FireFTP. This will open a new browser tab specifically for uploading the files.
Step 2: Create an Account
In the second dropdown box, click Create an account
Enter the new site information & click OK
- Account Name: Something you will recognize or use the domain name.
- Category: If you have multiple sites you can add categories to keep things organized.
- Host: Usually ftp.your-site-url or it may be a set of numbers in front of it
- Login: Username provided by your web host or that you chose when setting up the site
- Password: Password you chose when setting up the site
- Anonymous: Unless your web host requires it, do not check this box.
Step 3: Access the Website Server
If you created a category select the appropriate category from the first drop down menu.
Using the second drop down menu, select the site you wish to connect to & click Connect
Depending on the website host you use, the folder or location you log into may be slightly different. For this example, we are looking for the public_html folder as that is where the folder is located.
You click public_html which will open to show more folders. We want to upload the files into a folder called justgreentips, so we find it and click it to open. We can see by our tree that we’re in the right location as the far right column is showing the files within the green tips folder.
Step 4: Select & Upload Files
To upload the files, simply click to select the file(s) you want to upload, and then click the Green Arrow pointing to the right. This will move the files to the far right column.
Once the files are uploaded, the column will refresh and you’ll be able to see them on your site.
When you’re finished uploading the files, hit Disconnect to log out of the site.
Step 5: Link to Files
Now that the files are loaded to your site, you can link to them on a website page, in an email or anywhere else you can enter text. The link structure will vary depending on where you uploaded the files. For our examples, the links would be….
The Dierks Bentley Sideways .mp3 file:
The Crazy Days of Summer report pdf:
The Timesheet excel file:
The Rockin Rambo zip file: